Friday, July 10, 2015

Hang on

Originally Answered: Who is the luckiest person on earth? in 1983 a 19-year old boy named George suffered from extreme obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD). His case was very severe that he had to quit school and job. Also he had to wash his hands hundreds of times everyday and take excessively frequent showers. George tried to shoot himself in the head to end this miserable life but he missed! His shot actually hit the part that controls the obsessive behavior in his brain (left frontal lobe) without causing any damage to other regions. So after this "failed" suicide attempt he was cured from OCD.  ​ He was interviewed five years later after this event, he found a new job and he returned to college where he was a straight A's student. His IQ did not change but he just got rid of the OCD. Sources: Brain Wound Eliminates Man's Mental Illness How Attempted Suicide Cured a Man’s OCD Written 26 May • 265,813 views Upvote7.8k Downvote Comments45+ Psychology From your digest email How close are human beings to madness, i.e. to being delusional? Noam Kaiser, I live, almost every single day!  I have to share a series of pictures with you in order to answer that: ​ ... Upvote3.1k Downvote Read More From your digest email Is getting rich worth it?  Robert D Hosken Upvote • 3k upvotes by Rob Bednark, Marguerite Gallagher, McLean Greaves, (more) Originally Answered: Is getting rich worth it? Hi Anon, Thanks for your post: it's an interesting discussion. I'm almost 70 now, my wife and I were consultants, sent our 2 children to private colleges, and earned $1M or so before age 50, so we retired early and devoted our lives to charity. We could have easily earned another $1M, but we also could have been dead: each of us have been in near-fatal car crashes that totaled our cars, and each of us has had cancer. Life is short. We've lived in Europe for over 20 years including 17 years in Russia. These were the best years of our lives, although not easy or fun. We helped disabled people and taught others how to do the same. Now we have our home paid for, drive a Cadillac and have a moderate but comfortable retirement income. I teach online gratis, my wife helps elderly people. Life is short. Find meaning: "I can't do everything, but I can do something. It's not an excuse to do nothing." Written 16 Oct, 2012 • 335,724 views Upvote3k Downvote Comments50+ From your digest email Best of X: What are the top 10 things that we should be informed about in life? As ambiguous and ridiculous this question sounds, I hope you get the gist of what I mean. What main things should a person know about in ... More  James Altucher Blogger, author, social media, investor, wall street and easiest to ask on Twitter Upvote • 7.4k upvotes by Kinshiro Shimura, I. C. Robledo, Rajeeb Banstola, (more) I wish someone had told me all of this when I was 15. I would NOT have joined that cult. I wish someone had told me all of these things when I was 30. I would not have X (I have to say "X" because I don't want to hurt anyone). I wish someone had told me these things when I was 32, 40, and 45. I hope someone will tell me these things when I'm 50, 60, and 80. I honestly hope I die in my sleep before I'm 80. - LIFE CHANGES FAST. Don't hang on to it. Just go where it takes you. Don't try to control it.

No comments:

Post a Comment